I know that for me, and i would expect many other people knowing where to start on projects or such is one of the biggest challenges. Especially for the bigger projects, it can seem like such big under taking knowing what to do first can be over whelming. Today i just wanted to share a few ideas i have had about making the first steps easier.I have five places to start, so while all of them may not apply or may not suit your style, i am sure you should be able to find at least one that may get you moving in the right direction.
- Learn a new skill – One common problem with new projects, is that they often require skills that you may not already posses. So a good place to get start if this is the case is in learning the skills (just one at a time) that you may need for a project. For example you may want to create a blog, but only just know the basics of using the internet. So the first step would be to learn about blogging software, and to learn skills like basic HTML, and maybe a little graphics. Learning a little at a time, you will build the knowledge to start the actual project.
- Read Books – Following on from the first option, this is a good place to learn a new skill. If however you have the skills but just need more information, this can be a good way to build up that information that you may be looking for to get started on that project.
- Join Related Groups – Maybe you are looking for a way to connect with other people that are working on similar projects, to build a network of people that you can connect with and share information about your project. As well it can give you motivation to keep moving with your project.
- Ask Questions – This is possibly the most important one here. If you do not know where to start with something or what direction you should be moving first. What better way to find out then to contact people that have done this before and ask them where they started, what their direction was.
- Get searching online – Quite often you can expect to find an ample amount of information on the internet about the type of project that you want to undertake. It may be people following the same path or maybe just bits and pieces that line up with similar projects others are undertaking. But a lot of information can be derived from others experiences on the internet.
This may be some fairly simple concepts and things that you have sort of thought about. But the most common problem i believe at least for me is that i tend to think about things to much and do not just get out and do them.