While it may be a point that you would like to disagree on, the general idea is that if you are in business it is to make money. Of course one of the ideas that you need to understand to do this is that in most cases the more you sell the more money you make.
You would expect that the idea then would be to make it as simple as possible for people to purchase. However in so many cases this is just not the case. Artificial barriers and any number of other things that tend to make it difficult for someone to purchase from your business. There are a few things that can be quickly seen that may help you make those extra sales, you may not even be aware you are losing.
- Make it easy to pay – Give people as many options to pay as possible. Cash, cheque, bank transfer, credit card, bank card, lease(through 3rd party if the product is right), and any other you can think of.
- Don’t have silly policies – While this point could almost fill a book, and i wont go into specific’s, these should be fairly obvious. If you don’t know them, start talking to customers and see if there is any pattern to things they complain about.
- Give your staff some power – Let staff offer a small discount if needed, or throw in a bonus on certain sales. But give them some power to make a border line sale happen if needed. While i am not suggesting let them make it up as they go, give them a list of small items they can throw in to make the sale only if needed, or a dollar figure they can go to in a discount.
- Actually close the sale – So many sales people do a great job or selling their product but simply never bother to ask for the sale or order. So make it easy to them to do so. If it requires printing a contract, enable them to do this with the customer, portable printers and laptops enable this almost anywhere. If they need to process the sale online mobile broadband is available. Just make it easy to complete the transaction.
- Make customers aware of potential delays – If there is going to be a delivery period, then let customers know this up front. There you are waiting on stock, then don’t sell it like you have it available. Letting customers know these simple details will solve all kinds of problems and lost orders.
While these are just a few of the ways that some businesses make it hard to deal with them for the customer. There are many others. But this should give you a good start to be sure that your business is not causing these sort of problems for your customers.