More and more small businesses are starting up all over the country, and the world for that matter. One thing that needs to be very important to you as a small business is the idea of using the products you sell.
I will give an example in a minute. However this is something that you really need to be consciously doing, to ensure that you are making it easier for people to see that you are selling a product because it is good enough to use yourself, and not just because you say that they should be buying it. This doesn’t really mean that you need to be using one of everything that you sell in your store or business, but you need to be making an effort to at least use some of the products, so that when you are selling you can even suggest that you are using it yourself.
There are many ways that you can achieve this, and i will just share a few examples here,
- Clothes stores – Some clothes stores look to get their staff to ware the clothes from their store when they are working. Either they give them to staff or have good staff discounts, and this can help with sales. When customers see it on someone they may be more inclinded to purchase.
- Electronics stores – This is possibly one of the better examples, that do this well, many of these stores all have a lot of products working on display, while they may not actually be using the products themselves, you are able to see them working.
- Coffee Shop – This can be a touchy area, and while you do not want to limit your staff’s choice, it would be good to encourage them to not purchase from competitors close by or in uniform. Can you imagine what it would do to your business image if your barista, was seen going to a coffee shop a few doors down all the time buying coffee.
- Bookstore – It is good to get yourself and your staff in the habit of reading the current books that are selling, in this way it will make it easier for your staff to sell a book to a potential customer.
- Finally a general example – If you have chosen a range of products to sell in your store based on what you expect customer may want to buy, based on price ranges. But then you decide to use a more expensive and better brand yourself. You may find it hard to convince customers that the cheaper brands are any good, especially if it is something that is easily seen by customers within your store or business.
This is just a few examples but you kind of get the idea, that you want to be able to use the fact that you personally have used or your business uses the product’s that you are selling, this helps to give a customer some reassuance that if it is good enough for your own business then it may be good enough for them. While it may not make you a fortune in extra sales, it should help your employees to sell some more.