The ever challenging part of having a blog is trying to get more visitors to visit your blog. So today i thought i may do a little digging and share some ways that while maybe obvious are helpful to remind us some of the basics that we may forgot sometimes. So in no particular order.
- Comment on others blogs – Every day many people are blogging creating new content which you can comment on. The two things to remember though is make the comment valuable to both you and the blog you are leaving it at, and don’t spam, there is a place for your link best to keep it there.
- Tweet about it on Twitter – Twitter can be a very powerful tool to push traffic to your blog. The more followers, the more potential visitors, when you share a link. A good headline gets attention. Don’t over share your link (eg don’t tweet it every 2 minutes).
- Write Quality Posts – Unless you are running a up to the minute news site, quality will beat quantity almost every time. So one great post will be better then 3 or 4 average posts a day.
- Stay on topic – Or at least close to topic. If you talk about business, people probably don’t want to know about your last breakup with your girlfriend. Or any similar deviation from your original topic. While the focus does not need to be like a laser, it does need some limits.
- Teach something – Many people are looking to make the most of their time, so depending upon your topic often you can build a lesson or how to into your writing. Especially if it makes learning something new easy many people will like this.
- Leave Comments on – Your blog should become like a community where people can read about a topic and then discuss it with you further or with other readers. While turning off comments can have it’s place, you may find that this can slow down the growth of your blog.
- Use Link Posts – Sharing others content with your readers can help to build your blog further. Trackbacks can greatly improve the visibility of your blog, and often give you links back to your site on popular posts of other blogs.
- Read More – The more current content that you read yourself, the more idea’s for relevant content you can write yourself you will get. So try not to ignore to much and read as much as you comfortably can. In reading others posts don’t forget the first point to leave a comment.
- Time your posts – The time that you publish your posts can have a large impact on how many readers see your post. The most people are online reading during the day on week days. So try and time your posts for this time. Also remember time zone differences depending on your audience.
- Write what people want to read – Write posts that people actually want to read, if people want to read it, there is a good chance that they will consider sharing it with others which is really what you want.
I wrote this post as part of the 31 Day Project, that is being run at Problogger.com at the moment, this particluar post is inspired by Day 2 – Write a List Post. If you enjoyed this post please consider sharing this post with others or through Social sites below.