It has taken maybe a month and a half for me to figure this out, but i finally did find that the ads i have been trialing are getting impressions. I had been quite disappointed that i was not getting any impressions even let alone clicks, but i found it was my mistake in obviously not changing some setting to show current stats, and rather i was seeing the same set of outdated state from another campaign.
I should have learnt when i found this in the Analytics page that you need to change the date to get the right information that you want, however my fault i guess.
Anyway taking this further today i have expanded my trial to include the first page for my business with AdWords. Earlier today i set up a single page on my business website with full details for a single product. I followed this with creating an AdWords campaign specifically targeting this ad, with approx 120 location/product specific keywords. Really it is only about 20 different keywords, just changing the suburb name product code to try and capture people that will use variation’s of the code and location they are in. Hopefully by mid to late next week i will have some solid results for this and will probably start to follow this up with more similar campaigns.